Ten reasons you should consider taking up an instrument:
- Playing an instrument makes you smarter
Many studies show a correlation between musical training and academic success in both children and adults. Learning to play an instrument stimulates the brain, improving functions like memory and abstract reasoning skills which are essential for maths and science.
- Playing an instrument can improve your social life
Joining a musical group at any age encourages you to develop relationships with new kinds of people. It also builds skills in leadership and team-building.
- Playing an instrument relieves stress
Music keeps you calm. It has a unique effect on our emotions, and has even been proven to lower heart rate and blood pressure.
- Playing an instrument gives you a sense of achievement
Playing and succeeding at a musical instrument gives you a huge sense of pride and achievement, especially when you manage to perfect a passage you’ve been struggling with for weeks.
- Playing an instrument builds your confidence
As children begin to master their instrument, they will probably end up playing to a few audiences, starting with their music teacher or parents then groups of other pupils and concert audiences.
- Practising a musical instrument improves patience
It’s important to learn that the more effort you put into something, the better the result will be.
- Playing an instrument helps improve your memory
Researchers have found that learning to play a musical instrument can enhance verbal memory, spatial reasoning and literacy skills. Playing an instrument makes you use both sides of your brain.
- Playing an instrument increases discipline and time management skills
Learning music takes time and effort, and helps children understand that if they want to be good at something, they’ll need to put in the hours and organise their time effectively.
- Playing an instrument makes you more creative
Practising and perfecting a piece of music does wonders for the creative side of your brain.
- Playing music is fun!
Playing music actively engages and stimulates the brain, making you feel happy and occupied.